11 Sep 2017
It’s getting to that time of year again where all across the country people will be celebrating with fireworks. This is great for humans but can be VERY distressing for our pets. There are several steps that can be taken to help them during this time, but here are some helpful tips to help you prepare:
- Provide a den or hiding place for your pet.
- Use an Adaptil® or Feliway® diffuser as close to the den or hiding place as possible or where your pet spends most of its time.
- Keep dogs and cats inside during fireworks and check that their microchip is up to date.
- Walk your dog early in the evening before fireworks start.
- Ensure windows, doors and cat flaps remain closed during firework season to both prevent pets escaping and reduce the noise.
- Ensure your cats have access to enough litter trays during firework season, especially if you’re keeping them inside.
- Provide distractions in the form of new toys and chews. Draw curtains and put the TV on to mask any noise.
- DO NOT punish your pet as this will only make your pet more distressed. Equally, do not reassure your pet during their fear response as this will confirm to them that they have something to fear. Remain as neutral as possible.
- Try not to leave your pets alone when fireworks are going off.
- Continue to use Adaptil®or Feliway® after the party or fireworks season ends.
If you need any further information or advice, do please call and book a complimentary consultation to discuss other options on 01772 639800 OR 01253 766352.